FOLLOWERS - BLOG BUDDIES!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

#22 - Rooster on Guard in the Backyard AND Bookstop

During the day, we often let the chickens and two roosters out of their chicken tractor so they can wander around in our backyard. My blog friends have been telling me about the value of a rooster and I've been blessed to see this in action. Even though we won't be able to keep these roosters, it has been an awesome education to see the roosters in action as they protect their flock.

Leaving a gap in the coop for them to explore and to eat goodies in the backyard.
But, this protection surprised me today when the large rooster saw me heading out the back door - he could see me through the panes of glass and he was very alert to my appearance. In fact, Big Rooster ran for the back door and began yelling warning calls at me, "Cock-A-Doodle-Do!" He'd step a bit closer while shifting his head from side to side to get a good side-glance at me and he'd issue another loud warning.

Howdy is now having to help protect ME from the roosters, especially while I am picking tomatoes.
I cracked up. Big Rooster did not intend to let me come into the backyard. At the least, he wasn't going to let me come into the backyard without him letting me know that he was on guard and aware of my presence. He was positioning himself directly in my way at the patio near the back door so I couldn't exit. His girls were about thirty feet away in the garden.

Howdy and Big Rooster are on guard in the backyard for the lady birds.
Frankly, I never could imagine that a BIRD could be this confrontational and this brave. My blog friends have shared their knowledge about a rooster's behavior, but to see it in person is pretty awesome. It impressed me. As Big Rooster prowled the yard, separate from the girls, it was clear that he was on official duty. I found it chivalrous. Such a gentleman beneath that Rooster exterior.

Howdy the Chicken Herding dog prefers to keep the chickens herded into the raised garden beds.
Another Farm Life Lesson I learned as a backyard farmer this week is that I should stay clear of Big Rooster because he can charge full speed ahead like a raging bull. This was a shocker...another surprise. Roosters are slick and quick. Beware.

Howdy, my Black-Tri-Color Australian Shepherd working to herd
the chickens, but Big Rooster is not as "herdable."
This makes me more sad to have to give our roosters another home because I can certainly see the huge value in having a rooster in the hen house. They are protectors. They are intimidating and they don't seem to have much fear of anything. They simply charge into the direction of danger for their ladies. My heart has warmed to these beautiful creatures in a way I could not imagined that it would. I have always wanted chickens, but they have endeared me toward them more than I thought possible, and I'm just getting started!

Always watching, watching, watching...
So, this week I've learned that Big Rooster is definitely a threat to be reckoned with and I won't step into the backyard without my bamboo stick in hand to shoo him away. But, I'm not so sure this will work much longer because he's learning to flex his Big Rooster muscles. Forget the bamboo stick, I might need a bat.

*****************************************

THE BOOK STOP

DROWNING RUTH

I've just finished reading an old book I had shelved at the house.
I found the it to be interesting, but the jumping around
in the time-frame of everyone's lives during the story made
it a chaotic read. But, the storyline was one that made
you think about several points in life and about
family relationships. It's kept my mind busy on nights with insomnia.


Drowning Ruth seemed to be an easy read, but
the shifting time-frame could get a little wearisome.
The storyline moved along and I first thought it
was going to be about a family with mental
illness, and I think it ended with the main idea being more
about the lengths that family and people will go to so they
can hold the family and the farm together. It's also about
learning to appreciate what you have in life. It is fascinating to 
consider whether the relationships in the book are present because of
love, obligation, duty, secrets, guilt or as a blessing.

If you've read this book or will read this book, shoot me a comment on what you think
about it as well. I read a broad expanse of books, no set genre.
I'd like to know what your thoughts are, good and bad, about this book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AND chickens fly or kinda fly-glide. They love tomatoes...so if you are missing any ...it may be them. But, they love bugs and will help in that area of the garden and yard.
Falling in love with country life is a lifetime experience....there is alsways something new to love.
I am waiting for the day when you say you are packing up the chickens to take them to the 'farm' with you on your weekend trips.

Haven't read that book , but am a a voracious reader.
B.

Charade said...

You've proved chivalry is not dead - but that rooster's posturing hints that so much testosterone makes for confrontation in any species. LOL.

LindaG said...

I've read that you don't turn your back on a rooster. I think you need a broom. Thank goodness you have a smart dog!

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

B. --- Yes, this week I found out just how strong they can flap those wings as Big Rooster came at me. They are indeed great for our garden, but I can't leave the ripening tomatoes on the vine for too long or they'll eat them for sure. About taking them to the farm, I've wondered if I could take them by kennel, but am concerned about them wandering off. We'd have to put up a temporary chicken coop out there too. That might be fun.

Charade --- Definitely TOO much testosterone. Isn't the wild animal world a mirror for our own existence? Augh...MEN...don't get me started! haha. (For all of the guys in our lives, we love you, even with all that testosterone! Yes, I can only IMAGINE all of the comebacks, my husband is first in line for such wit, but we laugh a lot). I do love the roosters.

Linda --- I think what you read about not turning your back on a rooster is absolutely correct. I've quickly learned that a rooster can be a MONSTER! I usually keep a bamboo stick with me as I'm walking out and swivel it around me and that helps, even if I look ridiculous. But, a broom would be better since it is wide bottomed. And my dog is always in automatic herding mode, which includes treating me as if I am sometimes one of his sheep...a good thing when a rooster is trying to circle and charge you. Howdy is always ready; he's the eyes in the back of my head. :-)

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Lana
That rooster of yours is going to hurt someone soon. It might be an idea of have some chicken pie and get yourself another more docile rooster. I'd be looking at a buff orpington, they are not aggressive, I have had 3 now and they been lovely birds. I am so impressed with Our orpington roosters.

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

Rina, you called it. Big Rooster got my husband yesterday. Not pleasant. I am surprised the rooster didn't end up on the dinner table.