FOLLOWERS - BLOG BUDDIES!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

# 234 - The Country Waits Patiently; Me...Not So Much!

As of this week, our house will have been on the market for nearly one month. We've had some showings that had potential buyers, but we've also had horrible weather that keeps people from getting out to see houses.

Usually, April is a super "hot" month with people trying to find their next house. For buyers, the school-year is coming to a close and the timing is perfect for the buyer-family to find a house and get everything in order to start the summer somewhere fresh.

To help things along, we will probably have a slight price drop to make sure we hook more buyers. It's always good to start off higher and work your way down.


I have a strong feeling that once we lower the price, we will be swamped with showings. Between the time of year drawing closer to the end of school and summer, along with the weather improving, and a price drop...I believe we will soon be tackling the serious end of packing.


As for our acreage, I have been trying to put everything together in an organized fashion so that our move and construction process will go smoothly. However, it seems that I never have enough time or energy to do all that I need to do. The good news is...we've found a great concrete worker for our country area and they come highly recommended. This is important because the soil at our acreage is much different from surrounding cities that have a higher clay make-up.


We've reconsidered our construction process and will probably start off with building the shell for our cabin; we're thinking of building it with a metal frame for the main supports. There are so many considerations and expenses; it can be overwhelming. However, once we sell this house, we won't have the high monthly outgoing expenses. Those can be redirected toward building our home in the country.


Just imagining how overgrown our land is at this moment makes me shudder. As Spring approaches, the land has a burst of thick growth and becomes unruly.



I'm hoping we can get moved before the full heat of summer kicks in around June. Before that time, we can work in relative comfort during the early morning hours and late afternoon hours. Since most of our land is shaded, it will be nice, but we'll have to be careful about dehydration and heat stroke. Being in the South means to beware of the heat. It cannot be underestimated.

Pacing ourselves is most important.

For now, we need to get back on track with selling our house. I need to resume my pre-packing and get our house readied for the big move!



The country waits for us. It holds back for nothing and for nobody. As for the two of us...we're ready for the shocking change that will come with moving from the city to the country.

I think we'll adapt just fine. I guess we'll figure it all out, one day at a time.

4 comments:

LindaG said...

That's the problem I have with my hubby. He has no consideration for dehydration.
And if I'm working inside, I sometimes forget, too.

I know what you mean though. We are not so patient either.
We're making a very short trip the end of the month--taking some stuff down and a quick mow by the house, then come back to wait and pack some more.

Hope the weather clears up for your sale!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good luck on a speedy sale. I gotta tell ya, I'm looking forward to the vicarious thrill of watching the progress in building of your new home. (And I don't even have to pack!)

Anonymous said...

Hope your sale goes as quickly as you hope.
Glad Stefie is in a doctor's hands now.
Computer issues here, so if you don't hear from me in awhile you will know why.
Beth

www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com said...

Linda - I guess it's easy to forget how easy it is to become dehydrated during the summer. We get so involved in our tasks and don't take enough time to stay hydrated. For the past couple of years, we've been working extra hard to stay hydrated and to pace ourselves better during hot weather. I am SO ready for a trip to our land. I'll be excited to see more photos of your trip to the farm as well.

Susan - Well, I hope you'll learn from all of our mistakes! Personally, we don't know of anyone else who has done this. I plan to write about each detail with construction, especially because we are doing things the "Redneck" way. Everything will be constructed with quality, but building in the country will give a considerable amount of freedom that we don't have in the city; this will help to keep costs down.

Beth - It stinks that you're having computer issues. I hope the problems can be resolved quickly. Meanwhile, take care and I'll be glad to see you back again with a computer working great! I hope!

Lana